Wednesday, January 30

Tare (Tah-rrreh).

Did I mention that my days were jam-packed? Not much has changed since my last blog in the way of busy-ness. There have been several things that dominate my schedule. But the truth is, I like to be busy. I drink it up like water on a hot day. It's probably unhealthy at times, but too much of anything can be unhealthy, right? Anyway, life has been great.
Last Thursday I was so busy from the moment I got up, to the moment I lay down, that I had to think back and ask myself what I had accomplished. In the morning, I was supposed to pick up packages (sent by some wonderful Americans- thank you!), but I ended up "missing the boat" so to speak. You can only pick up international packages from 10-12 on Thursdays and I walked in at 12:10. Yoy (as I have been endeared to say). So tomorrow I will make sure to be there right at 10 with the notices I'm supposed to bring, and my passport! Hopefully try #2 will be more successful with better planning on my part.
Thursday afternoon I went out to Tsigmadru by maxi taxi (an autobus-type-thing) to work at the doctor's clinic. The moment the doctor arrived it was so busy. Patient after patient came through. It's hard because most of them just need regular pain killers. And from what I can gather, they're hard to get in the Romanian pharmacies. So they basically have to just wait for donations to come in and once they run out, that's it. People come and ask, and we have to say no over and over because we don't have them. I began to think a lot about that on the ride home and it just amazes me how much I take for granted. If I have a headache, no problem, I've got medicine at the ready. I could take medicine for even the smallest of pains if I wanted to. And they simply can't. That hit me pretty hard. I wish I could send for a huge crate full of everyday drugs. But it occurred to me I can't do that either. So since then, I've been praying and asking God to show me how I can help. I know there is only so much I can do, but I feel like God is prodding me to do something else, something more. Also in regards to the doctor's office...please pray for Annie (the nurse). She is home from England, but having back problems. Please pray for healing!
Friday held another fun-filled cooking session with Tanti (term of endearment/respect) Maria. She taught us how to make this delicious jam-filled prajitura (sweet cookie-type-thing). She also taught us how to make mamaliga cu branza, which is a traditional meal of corn mush and cheese, served with a fried egg and sour cream. Oh, and pickled peppers! It was a fantastic time of learning and fun. She is so knowledgable in the way of cooking and I am so blessed to be taught by her! What an honor.
Saturday was another day filled with adventure and new sights. Karen drove Emilia (my adopted Romanian [actually Hungarian] "mama"), Maggie (one the new students studying abroad here...already my good friend!), and myself to Korund. Korund is a town about an hour and a half away that makes handcrafts. I just realized I didn't take any pictures, but it is a really cool place. I don't want to bore you with all the details, but it was a really fun day. I just love exploring the country and meeting new people and feeling small. Feeling like our God stretches over all the earth (and he really does!).
There are some other "new" things as of late, too. Both teens clubs have been going really well. We have begun to treat the one here in Sighisoara more like a Bible study, although the last one consisted of playing "Dino-opoly" (which is hysterical to translate) and dancing to several worship songs, which is a ton of fun. I'm not sure what direction God will take that group, but I'm excited to see. As for teens out in Tsigmadru, Nelutu has been working on using lessons out of this wonderful book...and they're always good. My own faith has been challenged several times by the topics at hand, so not only is it fun, but I feel like I'm learning a ton. And there is a lot to be learned from Nelutu about how to run a successful ministry as well. Ah! There is just so much to learn. Sometimes I feel like being here is a wafer cookie. Layer upon layer of "sweet sweet" learning. Okay, that's a strange analogy, but hey...it gets the point across.
So what else is new? Well, there is a new pack of American students in town (as previously mentioned) and it has been a real joy getting to know them. They are enthusiastic about Romania and pretty excited to be here. And I have really been enjoying their company. There is just something soothing about being around girls my age (Americans and Romanians alike!) I've also been really blessed by the growth of many of my Romanian relationships. God has truly blessed me in this department, bringing some extraordinary people into my life. I wish I could list all of the people and everything they mean to me...but it's just not possible. Not only because I haven't asked permission, but also because I just wouldn't know how to put into words just how much they mean to me.
Which reminds me of my title: tare. Life here these past few weeks has been "tare". It's a Romanian word that does not directly translate, but means something along the lines of strong. Each day has brought new vibrance and wonder to me and sometimes I feel like I could burst with just how real, how strong, how alive I have been feeling. My experiences have been so very good, so real, so...tare. And I give all the glory to God. I am so thankful for each day, each morning I wake up and being in Romania proves not to be a dream...each breath God grants. That has not always been true for me. Praise God that it reigns true now!
And now, I leave you with some random pictures:

Neat doorway.
Cozonac! The traditional Romanian sweet bread I told you about! Evidence of Tanti Maria's amazing cooking and teaching skills.
Vitamin sorting at the doctor's clinic. =]


Alright, I have one parting thought that has been the focus of my day today: Wouldn't it be incredible if all we needed to eat each day was spiritual food? No bother with the food of this world...just constant attentiveness to the Spirit. That is something to look forward to in His Kingdom! Lately, I feel like I've been feasting on spiritual food and fed up (haha) with having to eat anything else. I know that sounds crazy and don't worry I still love real food. I'm just excited because I feel like I've had a tiny taste of everlasting food and it is delicious! Can't get enough of it, in fact.
Okay, I think that's enough for today. Do you feel "caught up"? I have really missed blogging and as a result I may have bored you with an incessantly long and sort of sporadic one, but I hope not.
As I always say, thank you so much for all of your support! It truly does wonders.

2 comments:

Rebekah Ann said...

Hello my dear!!! I absolutely loved reading your blog! It amazing the things that God is teaching you! I know how busy it can be there. Keep your head up and stay grounded in Jesus. T'ieubesc :)

Anonymous said...

Great post. When you come back, we'll have to devote a rainy afternoon to cozonac, because it looks life-changing.

Love ya!